Season Goal: Achieved! Breaking 90 and Two Birdies!

Hole 14 at South Suburban
bit.ly/1mCAeQV 
In March of 2014, I had decided on one goal: Break 100 by the end of this golf season. And so, when we set out to play a practice round in Mid-March, I did just that.

99 at Highlands Ranch Golf Club.

Okay... So I guess that goal was too easily achieved. Now, it's time to try something else: Break 100 at a TOURNAMENT by the end of the golf season.

Another 99 at Highlands Ranch Golf Club came on April 17, 2014 at the Heather Cho Memorial Tournament.

But then, we set our goals even higher: Break 95.

And I didn't break 100 again until this July. On July 27, I played with some family friends at Buffalo Run. It was a beautiful morning with blue skies and perfect weather. And I did it. 94 at Buffalo Run Golf Club.

Alright.. Gotta keep going. 93 at Flatirons Golf Club. 99 at Green Valley Ranch. 98 at Highlands Ranch Golf Club.

After the 93, we started to realize that my goal should be even higher: Break 90. And so, I did. Today, at South Suburban Golf Club, I shot 88. For some perspective, the best score I had shot at that course from the red tees was a 101.

I added to my birdie count today as well. On hole 6, I hit a beautiful drive that landed and finished in the perfect spots. This par 4 left me with 90 yards to the flag, with an uphill shot (greatly uphill) and a set of irons that had been riding the struggle bus all day. I would have hit a 9-iron, but ended up skulling an 8-iron to 5 feet by the hole. Thankfully, I made the birdie putt even though it was downhill and off the green if I hit it too hard. Mission accomplished!

Hole 10 is a downhill-flat par 4 that curves to the right. I hit a good tee shot and left myself with 130 yards (a 6-iron). Unfortunately, I didn't get all of the 6 iron and ended up about 5 feet short of the green and on the fringe. Dad had me putt it (very smart choice, by the way) and it curved perfectly into the hole. Two birdies in one day makes for a great one!

I shouldn't disregard the pars that I made today, either. On hole 4, I hit the green in one (it's a really difficult par 3 green) and had a great two putt for par. And, on hole 9 I hit a bad tee shot that ended up in a bunker. I had approximately 155 yards to the hole, so I hit a 5-hybrid out of the bunker. It ended up short but in a good spot. I pitched it and made a 20-foot putt for par.

The first par on the back nine was on hole 12. I hit a solid drive that ended up in the rough and then hit a great approach shot from there. Two putts and two approach shots = One par. Hole 14 was the next one. Dad had me take a different approach towards the hole so that I would have a much shorter second shot in. From the aim change, I had 75 (versus the usual 130) to get on the green. A good two putt led me to par one of the toughest (in my opinion, anyway) holes on the golf course.

That was that. A fun round full of excellent golf! I beat my dad and his friend "straight-up" and had my dad closed out by hole 13 today.

Golf is great when all the hard work that you put into it shows on the course. I'm really looking forward to next spring- it'll be great to see my scores continue to drop (both in practice and especially in tournament rounds!)

Sayonara,

Amy

P.S. Here's the tweet with the official scorecard..

Comments

Popular Posts