New York State of Mind (Senior Trip 2016 - Day One)

Hey! Today the family embarked on a journey to America's "two favorite cities" (New York and Washington D.C.)! We are starting in New York, and staying here until Wednesday afternoon before leaving for D.C.

I had the pleasure of sitting in first class this morning on the way to NYC, thanks to both of my parents' generosity in re-gifting the seat! I was in seat 1A (a window seat), so I had a great view for pictures coming into the city. What a great way  to land in NYC for the first time!
Breakfast in first class 
Statue of Liberty 
Nice view of the city and rivers

Ditto... I was amazed at how far the city stretches!
When we got in, our first stop was lunch! We enjoyed hot dogs, Italian sausages, chicken kabobs, and pretzels from this cute stand (which we later discovered was a chain...) in Bryant Park. Yum! 
 We got some desserts at Maison Kayser (an Eric Kayser) bakery in Bryant Park. They deserve a "yummo" rating for their chocolate tarts and special flag eclairs!
Near Bryant Park, we also stopped by the New York Public Library. We liked their lions in the courtyard and their famous writer statues in the back!
 City views... Unlike anything I've ever seen before!
Grand Central Terminal/Station! We learned today that Vineyard Vines has a special store there, and they even give away special NYC Whale stickers!

 After Grand Central Station, we braved the subway to get to Trinity Church and the Ground Zero area. Trinity Church is definitely "on par" with the famous European churches with its stained glass windows and Gothic architecture.



New York City's favorite person at the moment is buried at Trinity Church. His name was...
 We also went through the financial district, stopping by Wall Street and the New York Stock Exchange. Maybe I'll end up working here after my four years at CU...? 


The next stops were the Freedom Tower and the incredibly moving 9/11 memorials. I felt especially proud to be an American at these spots, and felt for the victims of the tragic attack.

 We went to Brooklyn for dinner and ate at Ignacio's (just down the street from Juliana's and not as crowded!). After that, we went to Brooklyn Bridge Park and took in the beautiful views of NYC.
 And, last but not least, we went to Times Square! It. Was. Incredible.

QOTD: I go to Paris, I go to London, I go to Rome, and I always say, “There’s no place like New York. It’s the most exciting city in the world now. That’s the way it is. That’s it.”
Robert De Niro

Amy

Comments

Popular Posts