Montserrat Day Trip

Hola!

This weekend, I took a day trip to Montserrat (about an hour away from Barcelona) with a group from CIEE. We had a fun day full of hiking and exploring in the beautiful spot.

We took a bus from Barcelona that dropped us off in the main plaza of Montserrat. When we got in, we were allowed to choose between exploring the basilica, hiking to Sant Jeroni, and hiking to the caves. There was also a later hike option down to the Cruz de Montserrat. I chose to hike to Sant Jeroni with a group and really enjoyed it!

From the very top of Sant Jeroni, we could see for miles! I brought a picnic lunch that I enjoyed from a spot on the rocks near the summit before walking down with the group.

The hike up was a good workout - uphill for a while but very scenic. I loved all of the different views of the monastery and the mountains along the way. We didn't make it back in time to do the hike offered later in the afternoon to the cross, but we did pass the trail on our way down since we went another direction.
We briefly stopped in the monastery (the best-known site in Montserrat). I want to come back and spend a little more time looking at the different chapels and figures, including touching the sphere of the Black Madonna!

On Saturday night after a little resting and studying, I went to the Ayre Rosellon Hotel Bar for a fabulous view of the Sagrada Familia! I would highly recommend this spot to grab a drink and enjoy the location.
On Sunday, I walked on the pedestrian walkway in the Sants district that's really close to my apartment. It was fun to be a "local" for the morning and get to know my neighborhood even better. There were lots of activities and people enjoying the beautiful, sunny weather! I walked down a little further to the Parc de l'Espanya Industrial right by Sants Estación, which I've now decided is the best place to puppy watch that I've found. (I miss my dogs, so this was an important discovery!)
After my morning walk, I went to brunch at Frenesi Cafe in the Eixample district and had some good pancakes in a new (for me) part of town. 
And of course, part of studying abroad is the studying... so I spent some time reviewing for my midterms and completing a few assignments too. For a girl who's grown up near the mountains and loves dogs, this was the perfect weekend of relaxing and getting to know some new parts of Barcelona!

Hasta luego,

Amy

Comments

Popular Posts