Semana Seis

Hola!

It's been another interesting (and busy) week in Barcelona! Here's a quick summary of some of the things I did this week.

Monday: I had a presentation in my history class about the Cerda Plan and Urbanism in Barcelona. I spent some time in the afternoon studying for a midterm and working on another presentation.

Tuesday: I had a field trip at the Chocolate Museum for my marketing class! Before that, I decided to walk over there from my study center and find a coffee shop. I decided on the Sweet Ophelia Cafe, about a 10-minute walk from the Arc de Triomf. I had a quiche, tea, and smoothie between classes and studied. I walked through the Born neighborhood (where I saw the cans pictured below) to get to the museum. We did a chocolate making class and got a short guided tour of the exhibit.

Wednesday: I had a field trip for my history class through the Eixample district close to CIEE. My professor took us to a couple of hidden gems within walking distance to the study center and explained some of the history. Later, I had a midterm in my afternoon class. I went to Pudding and got some fried rice with a few friends after the midterm! Finally, I stopped in at a local library called Biblioteca Vapor Vell on my way home. It's housed in a former factory in the Sants area!
Thursday: The General Strike in Barcelona was planned for Thursday, so I was a little worried about getting to and from class. Thankfully, I didn't have any problems and made it on time! As I was walking back from lunch, I noticed that there was a crowd building up in the street with some music playing, but they were just setting up for later! I had a presentation later in the afternoon, and went shopping after my classes finished. On my way back to the metro, the protest had officially begun and had completely closed off Passeig de Gracia. I managed to catch a train back after, but it was interesting to experience. This article explains why the strikes are occurring in Barcelona.

Friday: I had a test in the morning (one of two Fridays that I need to be in town for) and used the afternoon to explore a couple new places in the city. I went to lunch with my friend Emily at Coco Vail Beer Hall. We then went to Rambla del Raval to see the Gato de Botero, a famous sculpture. We continued over to Sant Pau del Camp, the oldest church in Barcelona. I took a short break, then went to the Parc de Cervantes, known for its rose gardens. It's a green oasis in the city and I enjoyed spending some time there and relaxing.

Upcoming: This weekend, I'm taking a day trip to Montserrat with CIEE!

Hasta luego!

Amy

Comments

Popular Posts