Figueres and Girona

Hola!

Today I took a day trip to Figueres and Girona with CIEE! I had so much fun exploring the Dalí Museum and walking around scenic Girona, where 8 of the 10 episodes in Season 6 of Game of Thrones were filmed!

We started the morning in Figueres, Salvador Dalí's hometown. It's about an hour and a half away from Barcelona and is home to the Dalí Theatre-Museum! The building is the largest surrealist object in the world, and the museum has art by Dalí himself (including all of the interior decorations). Although I still don't fully understand his paintings - and I think that's the point - I really enjoyed walking around his "dream world." The part of the museum where the stage used to be (the museum is in an old theatre) was very intriguing and had lots of optical illusions, including the Abe Lincoln one. Dalí hand-picked the location and is even buried there!

After Figueres, we took the bus to Girona and were given some free time to walk around the city. We started by walking across the river and to the cathedrals. The first step was to touch "La Lleona," the statue said to guarantee your trip back to Girona!
Allie and I strolled along the river until we made it to the University of Girona (located at the top of the hill). From there, we walked along the medieval walls of the city and found a beautiful view from the Tower of Sant Domènec. It was beautiful!

At this point, Allie and I were ready for lunch. We stopped into a cute looking restaurant called La Terra. I ordered a burger, a coffee, and a water - but only received the coffee and water... Apparently the waiter never wrote down the burger part! By the time we realized that the burger wasn't out (and it seemed like it should have been), I didn't have time to wait for them to make one. The waiter apologized, but I unfortunately couldn't eat anything before the bus ride back. On the bright side, the coffee was good! 
I sure do hope I get to come back here someday!

Adios!

Amy

Comments

Popular Posts