Orientación en la Ciudad

Hola amigos!

It's been a crazy couple of days in Barcelona but I'm so grateful that I'm here. I am learning so much already and classes haven't even started yet!

After the short orientation yesterday, I moved into my room at my homestay. My host mom is kind, accommodating, caring, and fun. She speaks Spanish (quickly) but we understand each other for the most part and will definitely have fun together throughout the semester! She made some lunch for both of us and offered me some coffee right away. She recommended that I rest after eating, so I ended up taking a short nap. (Siesta here, right?) Once I woke up, I had a snack with some tea.


I needed to do some shopping so I had the essentials for showering, snacking, and hanging out. This turned into a walk around the neighborhood (I'm staying relatively close to the FCB stadium, "Camp Nou") and down to the Plaça de Espanya, where the three main streets meet. From there, you can see the Montjuic hill where the magic fountain is, the former bull ring, and a large monument in the center. My host mom and I discussed a variety of things along the way, including how to use the metro (and where the closest stop is), the celebrations in the city this weekend, some current events, and other important things. We went into lots of shops to check out what they had, and even danced to "Despacito" together when it played in one of the stores we visited!

Activities for children before El Día de los Reyes Magos 

We ate dinner once we got back from shopping - a variety of typical foods from the region, including Pan de Tomaquet (bread with tomato), Tortilla de Patata (potato casserole sort of - really rich and delicious), a salad with melons, and a vegetable soup. Everything was very tasty!



We finished the night by watching some Spanish TV - the news followed by a reality TV show where they set Spanish people up on first dates. Then, we watched a little bit of Netflix in Spanish. Both of us were tired after a long day of activities (and for me speaking/thinking in Spanish), so we went to sleep.

My body is still a little confused with the time change, so I woke up at 3:30 AM thinking it was time to go... But, alas, it was not. I managed to fall back asleep and wake up for orientation fairly well-rested. We took the bus this morning (my first time here) and had a general health/safety/security training and some information regarding the cultural activities we can participate in here. I went to lunch and explored the city with some new friends from the program after. Finally, I took the metro back with another student who is living nearby.


There is so much to do and see here, and I can't wait to keep exploring!

Hasta luego,

-Amy

Comments

Popular Posts